We represent municipal governments throughout Washington State, including cities, fire districts, port districts, water/sewer districts and public utility districts. Our knowledge in municipal law, employment and labor law, land use law, environmental law and business law, combined with sound professional judgment, contribute to the success of our municipal government clients. We’re proud of the long term relationships (many of them extending decades) with our municipal government clients. These long term relationships result from providing sound and cost-effective legal advice over the broad span of legal issues faced by municipal governments. As a testament to this depth of proficiency, our attorneys are frequent speakers at municipal law seminars, port district meetings and fire commission meetings.
We serve as the general counsel for the Washington Public Ports Association and our lawyers chair the legal committee of the Washington Fire Commissioners Association.
We provide advice and counsel in a wide variety of matters unique to municipal governments, including:
- Public Records Act and Open Public Meetings Act compliance
- State and Federal audit requirements
- Compliance with FAA regulations for commercial service airports
- Land use and comprehensive plan issues
- Election law compliance
- Employment and labor issues
- Public works construction projects and public procurement of goods and services
- Governance by elected officials, their statutory authority and the interface with appointed staff
- Leasing and sale of public property
- Agreements with other governments drafted under the Interlocal Cooperation Act
- Litigation, including tort defense, eminent domain, insurance coverage and environmental remedial cost recovery actions
- Supervision of specialized counsel for municipal bonding, intellectual property, maritime and bankruptcy matters
- Environmental law including navigating the regulatory process and applying Remedial Action Grants administered by the Department of Ecology